Temptation to overeat is all around us, from ads with big juicy hamburgers to rich chocolate cake and crispy fried delights. Maintaining a healthy diet can be challenging, but there are ways to overcome the urge to overindulge. Here are five tips to help you stick to a healthy diet:
1. Drink plenty of water. The health benefits of water abound, from improving skin to keeping your organs properly functioning. Drinking an eight ounce glass of water before a meal is filling, thus reducing your appetite. Sip on water throughout the day to stay hydrated, cleanse your system and prevent bloating. If exercise is part of your weight loss plan, be sure to drink water throughout your workout for optimum muscle performance. Your body loses water through perspiration so replenish by drinking water after exercising.
2. Visualize your goals. Pull out old photos at your best weight or inspiration clippings from magazines of the size body you would like to achieve. When the temptation to cheat on your diet arises, use these visuals to help you stay focused.
3. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Loading up on fresh produce is satisfying and helps curb the urge to cheat with sweets. Fruits and vegetables have fiber, which help you to feel fuller longer. Grabbing a handful of berries or munching on a crunchy celery stick is a healthy way to snack when those mid afternoon munchies occur. You can also eat a healthy That’s It Fruit Bar.
4. Find an exercise you enjoy. Take a walk, jump on the trampoline with the kids, ride your bike, hula hoop or join a dance class to help increase your metabolism. Exercise produces those feel-good endorphins, giving you the energy and willpower to stick to a healthy diet. Take the time to try something new and get moving.
5. Indulge every now and then. There is something about forbidden food that increases cravings. Allow yourself a cheat day or special treat now and then so you do not wind up feeling deprived and going on an all out binge. Remember, everything in moderation. Have chocolate covered strawberries or a half a slice of cake to satisfy a craving without feeling guilty for overindulging.
Sticking to a healthy diet is all about creating new habits. Celebrate this opportunity to take better care of yourself and achieve your dreams.