Whipped cream is an excellent fruit dipper due to its light taste and fluffy texture. Coconut-based ones are a healthy alternative to commercial dairy ones as it is low in cholesterol and free of transfats. Additionally, the coconut whip contains all the healthy benefits as the coconut fruit itself, and the homemade version is simple to make.
Coconut has many wonderful properties, but one of the most astounding is the fact that its cream can be whipped up deliciously. Who knew nature’s whipped cream was all along inside a nutty coconut shell?
To make the cream, you will need to buy a can of full fat coconut milk; as the healthy coconut fat is what enables it to become fluffy, low-fat ones won’t work as well. The fat contents of the coconut milk needs to be first separated from the coconut water, and this can be done by placing the can overnight in the refrigerator.
Ingredients (for 1-2 servings):
- 3 cans of full-fat coconut milk
- 3 Tablespoons of agave nectar
- Refrigerate coconut milk in the cans overnight and do not shake
- Turn the ready coconut milk cans upside down and open the can. You should see a thick layer of solidified coconut fat on top — scoop this content out into a large whipping bowl and take care not to include the coconut water. (Save the coconut water to make a delicious smoothie later!)
- Repeat the above steps for the rest of the cans
- Add in agave nectar into the coconut fats and with a hand electric mixer, start on low speed and gradually switch to high
- Whip the contents until troughs and swirls can be seen in the creamy mixture
- Serve immediately!
The homemade coconut whipped cream can be used for fruit dips, spread on top of fruit bars, or even used as a cake frosting replacement. In the latter case, putting the “frosted” cake into the fridge can help solidify the outer cream until it’s ready to be served.
Enjoy your coconut treat!