Looking for some fun ginger facts? Here are 10 ready and waiting for you! Keep reading to find out more.
- Ginger is actually a rhizome, not a root. A rhizome is an underground stem.
- The ginger plant is an herb.
- Ginger is a part of the Zingiberaceae family, which also includes turmeric and cardamom.
- Ginger is native to southeastern Asia.
- You can grow ginger from rhizomes found at grocery stores.
- Mature ginger rhizomes, ones most commonly sold in grocery stores, are harvested after 10-12 months.
- Ginger is popularly grown in warmer regions and the tropics.
- Ginger can be cultivated all year round. However the best time to plant them is at the end winter and early spring.
- A ginger plant can grow up to 4 ft. tall.
- Ginger has MANY health benefits, some including ant-inflammatory properties, blood sugar regulation, and gastrointestinal relief.